Blindness can affect
anyone, any time.
- • 285 million people are visually impaired, as of 2010
- • A person goes blind every five seconds globally
- • Uncorrected refractive errors (far and nearsightedness) cause approximately 120 million cases of blindness
- • Around 1.4 million children are blind
- • Cataracts are the leading cause of visual impairment
- • Blindness can be genetic, inherited, caused by an illness such as diabetes or cataracts, or caused by an accident
- • The CDC estimates that diabetic-related blindness in Americans will triple by 2015
Use Guide Dogs
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Are over 50
Are in Working years
- • An estimated 82% of the blind are over 50 years old
- • 28% of people with moderate to severe visual impairment are in their working years
- • Up to 80% of visual impairment and blindness in adults is treatable or preventable